Sunday, November 19, 2006

London in the Wintertime.


Sunny, damp and chilly and London looks amazing. We landed, checked-in, then went straight to work. For the first time ever I'm not buying books and CD's before I do anything else. That will come though, I'm sure of it.

Went to Sunday Lunch in Borough Market at a boss restuarant called Roast, who, not surprisingly, serve Roast Dinners. It's been a long time since I've had a proper Sunday dinner. Roast beef, yorkshire pudding--the full monty. Class. South of the water is turning into my new favourite area of London now what with the Tate Modern, Borough Market, Bermondsey Street..the band were rehearsing down there so this makes it my second trip to London where I've mostly hung out in London Bridge / Borough. I'll be wearing a pearl covered jacket next, me old cocksparra'...

We (read: I) picked-up a van to carry the band and the gear around in. I haven't driven around in London like for a long long time. It's good fun and I can remember all the routes across town (mostly), but parking is a chore. Even on my old steeet in Kentish Town - which used to be a great sneaky spot for parking splitter vans - is now all permit only parking. Everywhere is, in fact; which made me realise I've been gone for ten years. Coincidentally, it took nearly 10 years to find parking only to have to move the van again after 2 hours. Why do people drive in London again? I know the tube is crap but driving, luv a duck - what a bleedin' palaver...

The Christmas Lights are up and on along Oxford Street and Regent Street; the city looks exciting and festive. It's one of my favourite times of year in Europe because it looks like Christmas. I managed to drop into HMV and came out in a daze with $200 worth of DVDs--some Chinese movies, and some old British TV shows (The Edge of Darkness, Top of the Pops compilation feat. Slade, T-Rex, The Jam, Ian Dury amongst others. The Jam look so young doing Down In the Tube Station At Midnight, and their miming sucks but it's great to see old performances like that.) I got some old episodes of Reeves and Mortimer and I'd forgotten how funny they are, and how English and original. I'm looking forward to checking out the Mighty Boosh Live DVD my friend gave me for my birthday. I'm glad to be back where people can make me belly-laugh.

Still, we go to Birmingham tomorrow so it could all change....c'mon luvver.

No comments: