Thursday, June 19, 2008

Parklife


Spent today measuring Central Park. Looks like I'll be working there soon, installing and removing a big gig. I've done it before, working production on the Dave Matthews (hacks out phlegm) back in 2003. I did pretty well on that one and managed to avoid hearing the band much at all.

I'm very lucky this year as since I've got back from China (where I dodged all kinds of bullets with my early return) I've only had to commute to jobs along the west side of Manhattan. As the festival season rolls around I think fondly of each one, knowing that every day I'm waking up in my own bed, not in a pool of sweat in a large metal coffin to spend the first hour of the day scoring passes, meal tickets and towels so I can shower in a cubicle made dank and rancid by the effluvia of countless dozens of roadies before me. No, I don't miss that.

I do miss hanging out with all the people I know through touring though. That's an eye-opener. After traveling months on a bus it's sometimes hard to adapt to civilian life, and now, even months after finishing my last tour in September, I still have to remind myself not to say somethings out loud or roll my eyes too obviously. The people I've toured with know what I mean.

At least I've been keeping busy instead. In fact, this afternoon, after I'd filled my map with measurements I spent the day slaughtering a French bloke and his Vietnamese wife in a very vivid style. The details of which you'll have to wait for until it's finished, or published.

But boy, do I have fun when I'm left to my own devices. Tomorrow I hope to slaughter some delivery boys and girls and visit a museum in Nanjing. A man needs a hobby.

1 comment:

katrina said...

OK, you need to share more information about this slaughtering you're getting up to, I'm intrigued! In a non-morbid way, of course ... Wish I could be travelling up and down the length of Manhattan, envy envy envy :) Kx