Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Pig People


Back in New York now for 2 weeks. The time has flown because I've been working pretty much non-stop since I got home. I've just finished ten days running a corporate hostility lounge for the Tribeca Film Festival and this week I'm working on the Rainforest Charity Concert at Carnegie Hall.

The corporate hostility lounge was a freebie place to hang out, see short movie screenings and to get a drink during the film festival to credit card holders. What I'd forgotten, as it's been a while since I worked at a special event, is what pigs people are. After a couple of days where some people had figured out there were tasty snacks passed around at 7PM every night and a free bar, people were coming for the food and then abusing the wait-staff because the free food was too slow in arriving, or it wasn't the menu they'd expected, or the free bar didn't have the right brand of whiskey / vodka. The free popcorn and dips table was like a refugee camp with people filling their pockets with popcorn and walnuts and power bars like they were starving. Honestly, this after reading some more Freud about man's destructive, violent nature and I'm just about done with people. It's depressing watching fat, greedy fuckers grab handfuls of nibbles to line their pockets - this wasn't an impoverished student film fest. but a middle class, high end credit card do....no one was going hungry yet people behaved as if a) there wasn't enough free popcorn for everyone & B) like they had a right to abuse the staff because of some dubious, heightened status because they were in a fucking ballroom no completely open to Joe Schmo.

On the plus side, I met some good people who were working the event and who were equally shocked so I guess not everyone should be tarred with the greedy fucking pig brush.

New York is the best city in the world. I'd nearly forgotten, Beijing is a foxy minx and LA a daydream but coming home and I realise I love it here. After 11 years one would hope so.

Everytime I blog now it seems I tap into a reservoir of bile. Hmmmm. Maybe I'm done? Maybe my cold black heart is all writ out?

See? Every cloud....

No comments: