Thursday, May 22, 2008

Coventry.

It's a strange treat coming here; like visiting a nostalgic theme park.

I was particularly taken today by a display of drinks in a discount store. The flavours, which are a little hard to see, are Iron Bru and Dandelion and Burdock (which I can't describe but if I said it was nearly a liquorice flavour soda it would be close) are popular kids drinks, except these are "fortified" with Vodka (note also Orange flavour and finally, "Blue" flavour, like someone couldn't even be bothered to come up with a name, "Fuck it, it looks like paraffin, let's just call it blue...."). Such low-quality it seemed to me that I took a photo for the blog.

I've taken photo's wearing big mickey-mouse ears on the North Korean Border and in Tian'anmen Square without a problem but I got told I wasn't allowed to take photos in "Home Discount" in Coventry. I can't think why, I mean, what's wrong with selling very cheap alcopops? Wouldn't you be proud of it? I guess industrial espionage is a big problem when you're pimping crap like this. When I was younger we'd joke about super strong lager like Tenants Super but these days even those Wino's drinks seem to have acquired some dignity. Still, with no more jobs in the country you have to have something for the young people to do, eh?




The "Home Discount" emporium. Stricter security than the centre of China during the Tibet Protests...

No comments: