Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Lisbon: A Tube of Meat Toothpaste.

Maybe it’s because it’s the end of the tour that I feel so listless here and can’t settle. It’s beautiful enough, although as the day goes on I keep expecting to see Nick Cave riding a mule down the backstreet behind my hotel. He'd be wearing a suit and a hat and riding his mule slowly. He'd probably ignore me altough we'd be the only two people on the street. Then I'd get scared and sit in my room and read a book to pretend that I wasn't hiding from Nick Cave, but in reality I wouldnb't be able to concentrate and I'd just read the same page over and over and over. Oh yes, my friend, you say you wouldn't be scared if you saw Nick Cave riding around Lisbon on a mule, but let me tell you, you'd be terrified. Just like I imagined I was.

Once everyone leaves for the three-day tour break suddenly I get that Perth feeling (I get the willies in Perth when I realize that in some way, by being in Perth one is at the edge of the civilized world. I think it’s the most remote major city or something…I mean Perth Australia, btw, not Perth Scotland. It doesn’t do to talk about the willies one gets in Perth Scotland). After one night in Lisbon I get up at 4am to fly to Berlin to see my friends. We did go for one good meal in Lisbon and feasted on so much flesh (No chicken –we were only eating things that talked, not squawked) that by the end of the meal I felt stuffed as a tube of meat toothpaste.

I’ll leave you with that image, I think. It's how I like to think of myself.

No comments: