Friday, January 05, 2007

Went to L.A. on January 1st. I had to see some places I’m writing about and I wanted an excuse to travel to L.A. God help me but I love it there, even if it is the world capital of disappointment. All the blond, sunny Hollywoodland stuff passes me by – I think it’s a deliciously dark place, very noir, full of melancholy and desperation dressed up as positivism (obviously I’m using broad strokes here to make a point). Also, once you’re there, the West Coast laid back mindset seems to make more sense on every level. L.A. feels like its own universe and really, it’s at the end of the day internationally speaking so it is kind of isolated in many ways. I really want to live there fo a period of time but can’t see that happening right now as I have no point there nor do I want to go to LA to start over from point zero. I think it could be a cold place to live if you don’t have something going on, much like New York can be too. However, I’m fascinated with the place. I don’t understand how time disappears in the city. No sooner have you got going than the day is over. I ate some (too much) amazing food too and it seemed easier to do than it does in New York when to my mind, trying to go to eat feels like a bit of a rat-race, so to speak.

I went running (or crawling on hands and knees) in Runyon Canyon, an amazing place in the hills just north of Franklin Avenue in Hollywood. The trails lead all the way up the steep hillside to Mulholland Drive and above – in places I had to scramble to keep climbing but when one gets to the top the views across L.A. and the Valley are legendary. And it’s great for your thighs too…photo’s when I go back if I remember to take my camera.

Now we’re in Vancouver. Canadian immigration is really weirdly either very hot or cold – always has been every time I’ve come through – I’ve talked Britishers into Canada without passports before now but sometimes I’ll be interviewed by Nazi Jack McNazi, the Nazi Mayor of Naziville Canada on St. Nazi’s Day at Nazi O’ Clock…. But not today, thankfully. I kind of forgot I was changing countries if I’m honest. That’s LA-itis right there. If I’d come from New York I’d have been much more switched-on. Whatever, dude.

I’d forgotten how much I like it in Vancouver too. It feels like Hong Kong to me, only a hip, English-speaking version. Gorgeous, friendly, well-mannered people, junkies begging outside the Organic Market just to keep it real. I’ve got a boss room too, which, is always a great thing to discover. There’s even a steam room in the gym to look forward to tomorrow morning before we get started. I get to see friends and ponce about in a gym. What a slack tart.

No comments: